CHICKEN WITH BALSAMIC, TOMATOES, & OLIVES
(Adapted from Cooking Light November 2011)
I love this recipe! It’s light and healthy and full of flavor. It can be made on the stove when the weather is cold, or on the grill as a fresh, summertime dish. Delicious!
5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped basil, plus additional for garnish
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1 cup chopped pitted black olives
1. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a grill pan over medium-high heat
2. Season chicken with salt & pepper, and add to pan
3. Cook chicken 4-5 minutes on each side
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 teaspoons olive oil, basil, and balsamic vinegar. Add cherry tomatoes and chopped olives. Toss to coat.
5. Pour mixture over the top and around the chicken, cover loosely with foil, and cook another 5 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Garnish with additional basil.
I serve this with sautéed spinach and quinoa. However, my kids loved it spooned over pasta.
Note: When I make this dish in the summertime, I grill the chicken on the outdoor grill, then pour the raw, room-temperature tomato mixture over the top of the grilled chicken. It is fresh and light and perfect for summer!